Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Authors: ||Puglisi, G.*|
|Title: ||Mt. Etna Test Cases for MED-SUV project.|
|Editors: ||Puglisi, G.; Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, Sezione Catania, Catania, Italia|
Spampinato, L.; Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, Sezione Catania, Catania, Italia
Reitano, D.; Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, Sezione Catania, Catania, Italia
Mangiagli, S.; Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, Sezione Catania, Catania, Italia
|Issue Date: ||2014|
|Publisher: ||MISCELLANEA INGV|
|Abstract: ||In the framework of MED-SUV, WP5 is in charge of studying Mt. Etna's volcanic activity. We
periods and phenomena of the volcano activity to be used by the WP5 partners as Test Cases in
the time window 2005-2011 i.e. that of the data available in the MED-SUV database. Overall,
characterisation of eruptive activity and/or periods of quiescence will improve our
knowledge on the geophysical and geochemical processes taking place inside Mt. Etna's
volcanic system. These processes to be characterized include:
• magma formation and evolution,
• conditions of storage and transfer of magma in reservoirs at different levels within the crust;
• physical and chemical interaction of magma with surrounding rocks and fracture/fault systems
and their effects at the surface;
• opening of eruptive vents/fissures as well as eruptive processes (including the
formation and evolution of lava fields, volcanic plumes, pyroclastic fallout, etc.).
The joint effort around the Test Cases will help the WP5 team addressing key questions such as:
• what has determined changes of Mt. Etna eruptive style (mainly effusive vs. short-lasting,
frequent paroxysmal events) in the last decades?
• how is the shallow plumbing system (-1-4 km from the summit) structured? What are the processes
occurring in this portion of the volcano feeding system and the key parameters controlling these
processes? How does magma behave at shallow depths?
• what is the suitability of cross-correlated parameters/models for shedding light on the
relationship between shallow (<5-6 km) earthquakes of the eastern flank ofMt. Etna and volcanic
activity (if any)?
For such questions, analysing carefully the periods of "quiescence" that precede
eruptions is not less important than analyzing the eruptions themselves.|
|Appears in Collections:||04.08.99. General or miscellaneous|
Files in This Item:
|Miscellanea23_Puglisi&al_medsuv.pdf||abstract||2.77 MB||Adobe PDF||View/Open
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.