Earth-prints repository, logo   DSpace

About DSpace Software
|earth-prints home page | roma library | bologna library | catania library | milano library | napoli library | palermo library
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/2122/8871

Authors: Chiodini, G.*
Cardellini, C.*
Caliro, S.*
Chiarabba, C.*
Frondini, F.*
Title: Advective heat transport associated with regional Earth degassing in central Apennine (Italy)
Title of journal: Earth and planetary science letters
Series/Report no.: /373 (2013)
Publisher: Elsevier Science Limited
Issue Date: 2013
DOI: 10.1016/j.epsl.2013.04.009
Keywords: heat flux
CO2 Earth degassing
central Apennine
Abstract: In this work we show that the main springs of the central Apennine transport a total amount of heat of ∼2.2 109 J s−1. Most of this heat (57%) is the result of geothermal warming while the remaining 43% is due to gravitational potential energy dissipation. This result indicates that a large area of the central Apennines is very hot with heat flux values 4300 mWm−2. These values are higher than those measured in the magmatic and famously geothermal provinces of Tuscany and Latium and about 1/3 of the total heat discharged at Yellowstone. This finding is surprising because the central Apennines have been thought to be a relatively cold area. Translated by CO2 rich fluids, this heat anomaly suggests the existence of a thermal source such as a large magmatic intrusion at depth. Recent tomographic images of the area support the presence of such an intrusion visible as a broad negative velocity anomaly in seismic waves. Our results indicate that the thermal regime of tectonically active areas of the Earth, where meteoric waters infiltrate and deeply circulate, should be revised on the basis of mass and energy balances of the groundwater systems.
Appears in Collections:03.02.04. Measurements and monitoring
04.08.01. Gases
04.04.12. Fluid Geochemistry
Papers Published / Papers in press

Files in This Item:

File SizeFormatVisibility
2 .pdf4.81 MBAdobe PDFonly authorized users View/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.


Share this record
Del.icio.us

Citeulike

Connotea

Facebook

Stumble it!

reddit


 

Valid XHTML 1.0! ICT Support, development & maintenance are provided by CINECA. Powered on DSpace Software. CINECA